There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, September 18, 2021

Apple Cinnamon Bread - PUBLISHED


1 - I'm combining my pumpkin bread recipe with apple instead. I'm hoping it's an easy transfer of ingredients to just throw in some sort of vegetable matter to make a bread.
2021-10-19 My experiment worked, it made a nice loaf, and I judged it rather harshly because it isn't as rich in flavour as the pumpkin bread. I must say the brown sugar thing made it more complicated than it needed to be. I will look to my other recipes with streusel and try that instead, and just for the topping. Oh, and the whole baked apple thing might be easily replaced by apple sauce, perhaps drained?
2 - This has change a whole lot. The streusel is on top now, and that seems to work just fine, thank you very much. 

1½ cups apple sauce, drained in a sieve of extra moisture before measuring
¼ cup melted butter 
½ cup sugar
½ cup light brown sugar (packed)
2 eggs
1 + ½ tsp ground cinnamon (maybe try coriander?)
1½ cups flour
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp cloves

STREUSEL TOPPING
¼ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup packed Brown Sugar
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1½ Tbsps. butter
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. 
  2. Sieve any extra moisture from the apple sauce before measuring the 1½ cup.
  3. Melt the butter and whisk into the apple sauce
  4. Add the sugars and then whisk in the eggs.
  5. Without stirring, add the flour, cinnamon. salt, baking soda and cloves.
  6. With a wooden spoon mix the batter just until combined.
  7. Grease a bread pan with butter and pour in the batter.
  8. In a small bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar and and cinnamon until evenly combined. Rub in the butter.
  9. Sprinkle the streusel on top of the batter.
  10. Bake for 1 hour or until a knife comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment