There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, September 26, 2021

Kohlrabi Linguini - Test 1


1 - This was delicious. If anything, I was too stingy with the amount of leaves I put in. No, I tell a lie. I put in 12 oz of pasta because the original recipe didn't specify how much and I was cooking for 3 eaters. With 8oz of pasta, the quantity of kohlrabi would have been perfect. Oh, and I used whipping cream instead of creme fraiche which worked just fine.
2 - 2021-12-04 I made the mistake of substituting the creme fraiche with half&half. And I was in a hurry, so the wine didn't reduce enough and the cream curdled and the kohlrabi was over done. Not really a carefully executed test. 
3 - 2022-10-29 Ronnie made this last night and realized my testing system works! I've made several changes to the recipe to make things more clear. The onions are now not put in to 'sweat' but to cook on low temperature to avoid browning, but until they are soft. And the kohlrabi leaves, instead of putting them in for the last 4 minutes of cooking the pasta, are put in along with the pasta.
4 - The original recipe was enough for 2 people, 3 for a light meal. I've been doubling it, but I often screw up the quantities because I just forget to make the change. So I'm increasing the quantities outright for 4 people, therefore from 8oz of pasta to 1lb.

400gr of kohlrabi bulb, keep the leaves  
1 Tbsp olive oil plus extra for drizzling
1 onion, finely chopped
5-6 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsps picked thyme leaves
1 1/2 cup white wine
1 1/3 cup crème fraiche (see Note)
16 oz linguine
Parmesan shavings to garnish
Salt and black pepper
  1. Remove the kohlrabi leaves and set aside. Peel the bulb using a knife or vegetable peeler to remove the tough outer skin and chop into a 1/4" cubes. 
  2. For the leaves, remove the tough stems and slice the leaves thin like fettucine noodles.
  3. Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium low heat. At this temperature, slowly cook the onions, garlic and most of the thyme (leaving a few sprigs for garnish) until perfectly soft. Keep the temperature low and stir frequently to avoid browning - this will take a while.
  4. Meanwhile fill the pot you'll use to cook the pasta with salted water and bring to the boil. 
  5. Add the diced kohlrabi to the boiling water and blanche for 3 minutes. Save the water to cook the pasta, and remove the kohlrabi using a slotted spoon.
  6. Once the onions have softened nicely, add the blanched kohlrabi to the sauté pan. 
  7. Add the white wine, bring to a simmer and cook until it achieves a syrupy consistency. Remove the pan for the heat, wait one minute then add the crème fraiche. Season with salt and cracked black pepper.
  8. Cook the pasta and the kohlrabi leaves for about 9 minutes. Once cooked, drain and add the pasta to the sauce and toss together well to coat the noodles.
  9. Serve the pasta in a bowl, topped with the kohlrabi leaves, a few sprigs of fresh thyme and some parmesan shavings. Drizzle with olive oil.
NOTE: While crème fraiche is preferable, you can substitute with heavy (whipping) cream, Table (18%) cream or even with plain yogurt (avoid fat free yogurt like the plague!).

No comments:

Post a Comment