There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Fresh cherry tomato pasta - Test 3


1 - An instant hit. We tried it cold as well, but all the subtlety of flavour disappeared. Having such a flavourful tomato such as Jaune Flamme definitely contributed, so the quality of the ingredient is important.
2 - Simple, light, quick and tasty. A winner.
3 - Upgraded it to Test 3 but with a caveat. It's October, I've used some of the last of the tomatoes, and I can taste the difference. We grew Jaune Flamme which are very sweet, so this is what I made the sauce with all summer. But tomatoes need heat to get their full flavor, and these are late so not very sweet with slightly tougher skins. Key to making this an excellent dish, since it is so simple and really showcases the flavor of the tomato, is to use cherry tomatoes at the height of their season.

1 pound pasta
Salt
½ cup olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
30oz cherry tomatoes (at the peak of their season)
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 to 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
1 Tbsp parsley, chopped
Freshly grated Parmesan (for serving)
  1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente; drain and set aside until the sauce is ready.
  2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a 12" skillet or wide heavy saucepan over medium-high. Add garlic, allow to just start to soften, then add the tomatoes, pepper, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes burst and release their juices to form a sauce, 6–8 minutes.
  3. Place the pasta on a large serving plate and pour the sauce on top to serve, with Parmesan in a bowl to sprinkle on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment