There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, September 6, 2021

English Pickled Beets - Untested

https://www.food.com/recipe/english-style-pickled-beets-by-the-jar-127008
https://bellyfull.net/how-to-make-roasted-beets/
 
As many red beets as you need, of similar size, left whole

1 tsp black peppercorns
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
8 allspice
650 ml malt vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp horseradish

PER PINT JAR (500 ML JAR)
1⁄2 tsp pickling salt

Preheat oven to 400F with rack in the middle position. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
Trim leaves from beets leaving about 2 inch stem stubs on beets. Scrub beets thoroughly. Leave long tap root attached.
Wrap the beets loosely with foil (no need to dry them first) and transfer them to the baking sheet.
Roast until you can easily slide a skewer to the center of a beet without any resistance, about 1 hour for medium sized beets. If your beets are really small they will cook faster; start checking after 30 minutes. 
Take out of the oven and let cool till easy to handle. Slip off skins and trim off tops and long tap roots. Small beets may be left whole for packing into jars. Large beets can be cut into chunks.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan lightly dry-roast the peppercorns, coriander and allspice on low heat, or until they become fragrant.
Add the malt vinegar, bay leaves and brown sugar and horseradish to the saucepan and simmer on a low heat for 20 mins.
Into the bottom of each pint jar place 1⁄2 tsp pickling salt. Pack the beets into the jars. Fill the jars with hot malt vinegar to within 1/2 to 3/4 inch from jar top. Wipe rims of jars and seal with lids.
Process in a boiling water bath according to the canner manufacturer's instructions. Set the jars in a draft free place to cool. Check seals before storing. Store for at least 1 month before using to allow the flavors to develop.




No comments:

Post a Comment