There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, May 2, 2022

Barley risotto with pumpkin and sausage - Test 1


1 - Ben and Paz are happy with all the ratios. I worry there's too much cream. The one recommendation we all agree on is that the pumpkin was cubed too big and a bit undercooked.
2 - Success! I cut the pumpkin into smaller cubes and used less cream on the first day, which I increased to re-heat it (successfully) on the second day.

2+1 Tbsps vegetable oil
1lb8oz pumpkin, peeled and cubed 1/4"
1 shallot small onion
1 chilli pepper or 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
1lb sausage meat (I use hot Italian sausage meat)
1 1/2 cups of light cream
1 + 1 oz grated parmesan cheese
240 gr of barley
4 cups vegetable broth
Salt and Pepper
Fresh parsley, chopped or lovage
freshly ground black pepper
  1. Heat some oil in a fry pan (about 2 Tbsps) and sauté the pumpkin, onion and chilli.
  2. While cooking, crumble in the sausage and cook until the meat is well browned.
  3. Turn down the heat, pour in the cream and stir for a few minutes to get all the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Continue to stir until the sauce thickens. Add 1 oz of grated parmesan, stir, cover and set aside until the rest is ready. 
  4. Heat another Tbsp of oil in a pan to toast the barley. When it starts to become fragrant, gradually add the broth. Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes or until the barley is cooked but still chewy.
  5. Reserve about 1/2 cup of the pumpkin mixture, and pour the rest into the cooked barley along with a few sprinklings (about 2-3 Tbsps) of Parmesan, stirring gently to combine everything evenly. 
  6. To serve, top each serving with some of the reserved pumpkin misture.
  7. Sprinkle with some chopped parsley and a few good grinds of pepper.
LEFTOVERS 

To Reheat
Add more cream to reheat. The barley will have absorbed a lot of the moisture, so the extra cream brings it back to its previous sauciness. You will likely need much less than 1/2 cup of cream.

To Make Patties

1 - This was very good. It took me a couple of goes, since I started just with the risotto which easily crumble when I tried flipping, then just with egg, same problem, until I added a bit of flour. I did it all pretty much on the fly, so I'm not sure what the ratios are at this point. But it worked well.

Can easily be made into patties. Add 1 or 2 eggs (probably just 1) and a bit of flour (of course I'll want to standardize this). Heat some oil in a pan for about 3-5 minutes before starting. Make 75gr patties and fry in the oil until browned on both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment