There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, May 2, 2022

Vegetable soup with barley and sausage - Untested


4 1/3 cups water
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
2 sprigs rosemary (or, failing that, other preferred spices)
a few bay leaves
400g sausage
1/2 cup white wine
70g pumpkin, peeled and cubed
300g potatoes peeled and cubed
300g Savoy cabbage (white cabbage), sliced thin
Parmesan cheese rind
170g pearl barley
Pecorino romano (or parmesan)
  1. Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion, salt, pepper, herbs and bay leaves. Stir to coat and gently cook. 
  2. Meanwhile, shape the sausage meat into meatballs. Add to the saucepan and turn up the heat to medium high, stirring often, until the sausage starts to brown. There should be browning stuck to the bottom of the pan.
  3. Turn down the heat and add the wine to deglaze, scraping up as much as possible. When the wine has completely evaporated, add the prepared vegetables and mix until they reach temperature.
  4. Add the water and the cheese rind and bring to a boil, then reduce to a slow simmer. 
  5. Cook for about 15-20 minutes before adding the pearl barley, add water if necessary. The barley cooks in about 30 minutes. 
  6. Cover and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour. 
  7. Finish cooking and, before turning off, check the seasoning.
  8. Serve, add a sprinkling of grated cheese (your favorite) to taste and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment