There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, May 8, 2022

Gâteau grand-mère à la base de yogourt - Testing


1 - A very good first try, and both Ben and I felt like something was missing. It could be that, next time I make it exactly as it's written below, that we'll love it. I don't know. But in the meantime, experimenting is interesting. 
    To Try : 
  1.     replace at least some of the oil with melted and cooled butter
  2.     add X amount of finely diced and rehydrated candied lemon or lime peel
  3.     add something like the peelings in marmalade, whatever that looks like
  4.     simply top the cake with marmalade?

½ cup plain yogurt or Greek yogurt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsps baking powder
½ tsp salt
grated lemon zest from 1 medium-size lemon (or the equivalent in lime zest)
½ cup mild oil (such as sunflower grape seed, canola oil)
For the glaze:
¼ cup fresh lemon or lime juice
¾ cup of powdered sugar
  1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
  2. Prepare in advance the baking dish by generously greasing an 8-inch round cake; line the bottom with parchment paper.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, sugar, and eggs, stirring with a wooden spoon until well blended.
  4. Add the flour, baking powder, salt and zest, stirring just to combine.
  5. Add the oil and stir well with a spatula to help get the sides. Don’t worry if at first it seems like the oil isn't mixing in, just keep stirring until you get a smooth batter.
  6. Pour the batter into prepared pan.
  7. Bake for 30 minutes before checking for done-ness - it's important not to overbake this cake. It's ready if the cake feels springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
  8. While the cake is baking, prepare the glaze by whisking together the juice and the sugar until it's perfectly smooth. Leaving it settle for a few minutes before whisking again helps. 
  9. Cool the cake on a wire rack for 10 minutes before turning it out.
  10. While the cake is still warm, gently brush the glaze over all of it with a pastry brush until all of the glaze is used up. Some of it will drip off, but most of it will soak in. Allow cake to cool completely before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment