There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, November 28, 2022

Knol Khol Poriyal (Kohlrabi Curry) - Untested


3 cups Kohlrabi , peeled and sliced
1 Onion
1 Tomato , diced
1/2 cup crushed or diced tomato
1/4 cup fresh green peas (Matar)
2 Dry Red Chillies
1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
1/2 teaspoon black Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
1 teaspoon Black Urad Dal (Split) red lentils
Curry leaves , few
1 Bay leaf
? lime zest
1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
1 tablespoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
2 tablespoons Dessicated Coconut
Salt , for taste
  1. To begin making the Kohlrabi recipe, take kohlrabi and peel the outer fibrous part and cut into small squares.
  2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. When heated, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. When they splutter, add a teaspoon of black urad dal.
  3. Saute until the dal tuurns brown. Now add in curry leaves, dry red chillies and turmeric powder. 
  4. After 1 minute, add sliced onions and fry till the onion becomes soft.
  5. Add tomato slices and cook till they become little soft. Add fresh peas followed by kohlrabi slices and mix everything.
  6. Now close the lid and cook for some more time mixing at regular intervals
  7. Add spices - coriander powder, red chilli powder and salt as per taste.
  8. Add dry dessicated coconut, mix everything and cook for few minutes by closing lid.
  9. Cook till kohlrabi slices become soft. Turn off the heat and garnish with coriander leaves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment