There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, November 18, 2022

Plain old Tomato Spaghetti Sauce for - PUBLISHED

In my younger days I made this sauce countless times (pg 66, I still remember). Trying it again tonight for the first time in probably 20 years.

from Moosewood Cookbook, pg 66

1 - It's as good and easy to make as I remembered. I'm going to indicate that the fresh tomato is optional.
2 - Made it with fresh herbs and have added the quantities for this option. Uh, in re-reading this, I think I actually used 2 x 28oz cans of tomato! Woops, but the flavor was really nice. Now this was with fresh herbs, would that work with dry? I may have to halve the fresh herb quantity. To try next time, which means this remains at Test 1.

3 Tbsps. olive oil
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
OPTIONAL ½ lb. mushrooms AND/OR 1 chopped green pepper
2 tsps. dry basil OR 2 Tbsps. fresh basil, minced
1 tsp oregano OR 1 Tbsp fresh oregano, minced
2 bay leaves
2 tsps. salt
28oz canned tomato, diced or purée 
6oz tomato paste
2 Tbsps. red wine, to taste
¼ tsp black pepper
Optional - 1 medium tomato, chopped

  1. Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onion to sauté. While the onions cook, chop and/or add the garlic, green pepper, optional mushrooms, basil, oregano, bay leaves and salt. Continue to cook until the onions transparent and very soft.
  2. When the onions are cooked, add the tomato purée and paste, red wine, fresh tomato and pepper.
  3. Cover and simmer on low to medium low (a very slow simmer) for at least 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  4. Before serving add the parsley.
  5. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan

No comments:

Post a Comment