There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, November 28, 2022

Split Pea Soup with Smoked Hock - Test 3

Adapted from the split pea soup with bacon, this one uses the pork hock instead of bacon.

1 - I added the hock while it was still a bit frozen and it was not cooked enough using the cooking time in the soup with bacon. Also, the hock is salty so I will reduce the quantity of salt. Otherwise, and excellent recipe.
2 - To make sure the hock is well cooked I decided to try the slow cooker, and have transformed the recipe to reflect this. If this works, I have a final test I'd like to do before calling it done - is it better to cook the oats in the last 20 minutes or can I mix them into the slow cooker? The changes I made were very good! It worked!

12 cups cold water
2 cups of yellow split peas
1 smoked pork hock (any size)
4 oz (about 1 generous cup) of quick cook oats
Optional: 1 sprig thyme, 1 bay leaf and/or 1 large carrot
1 Tbsp oil or lard
2 onions, chopped (12oz/340gr)
2 tsps of salt (to taste)
1 tsp of sugar
1⁄2 tsp of pepper
  1. Put the peas, hock and any herbs in a slow cooker 8 or 9hrs before you desire to eat.
  2. An hour before the slow cooker is done, add the oatmeal.
  3. Then, heat the oil in your soup pot and cook the onion over medium heat until very tender (where you can easily cut it with a wooden spoon), about 10 minutes.
  4. Season with the salt, sugar, and pepper. Cook a bit longer to allow the sugar to caramelize a bit. Remember, browning = more flavour!
  5. Once the hock is very tender remove it from the slow cooker and set it on a cutting board.
  6. Transfer the peas to your soup pot and bring to a simmer. 
  7. Meanwhile, shred the hock, remove the bone, skin and fat and pop back in the good meaty bits.
  8. Enjoy with fresh bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment