There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, April 7, 2023

Matefaim (Matafan) - Testing


1 - Just an ok effort. I used whole wheat because someone at the table has foresworn white flour and that was a mistake. Probably on both counts LOL. The whole wheat made it a bit sweet. I wonder also if not having cheese is a mistake. Oh, I was thinking that looking at Rosti recipes would be useful to get the grated potatoes just right.

2 blancs de poireaux
1 onion (6oz/170g), chopped fine
1 Tbsp oil
8oz potato, coarse grated
8oz ham, small dice
2 Tbsps butter
3-4oz flour
3 eggs
1 cup milk
Some parsley
1 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp pepper
  1. Brown the onion in the oil, about 10 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile coarse grate the potato and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
  3. Once the onion is well browned, add the potato and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. If there is too much sticking, add a bit of oil or butter.
  4. Before the potato is perfectly cooked, add the ham.
  5. While the potato is cooking, whisk together the flour, egg, milk, herb, salt and pepper.
  6. While briskly stirring, add the cooked vegetables and ham to the egg mixture.
  7. Melt 1 Tbsp of butter in a large fry pan and pour in the batter.
  8. Meanwhile, lightly grease a dinner plate for the next step.
  9. Upturn the plate on top of the pancake, hold firm with your hand, grab the handle of the pan and flip the pancake onto the plate. Set the pan back on the stove-top and slide the pancake back into the pan to finish cooking, just enough to lightly brown.
  10. Once browned on both sides, flip back onto the plate and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment