There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Testing - Braised Steak with Mushroom Wine Sauce

We tried the eye of round steaks. What a difficult cut of meat to prepare! I will try with another cut of beef next time... sort of anything would be better.

16 oz steaks, (trying Boneless Blade Steak)
2 Tb + 2 Tb olive oil
2 yellow onions, sliced
4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
3/4 pound chanterelles (or 1 lb button mushrooms)
¼ cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp chopped thyme (or 1/4 tsp dry thyme)
1 cup dry red wine
1 can beef broth
½ cup whipping cream
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary, to serve

  1. Heat a large skillet with a lid to medium heat.  Add oil.  Sauté onions and garlic until browned.  Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms release some juices.  Remove from pan.  
  2. Mix flour with salt and pepper and dredge steaks in flour, shaking off excess.  Heat remaining oil in the pan to medium high.  Brown steaks on both sides. 
  3. Add onion-mushroom mixture, thyme, merlot, and beef broth.  Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook on low for one hour, or until meat is very tender, stirring occasionally. 
  4. When meat is done, add whipping cream, stir, and cook uncovered until sauce thickens slightly.  Season again with salt and pepper, stir in fresh rosemary, and serve.
  5. This dish is good with wide egg noodles. Could also try with any potato dish, or rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment