There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, February 9, 2015

Chickpea and rocket curry - Testing

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/food-nutrition/healthy-recipes/chickpea-and-rocket-curry-for-younger-skin

1 - I made this for Isabelle and only remembered when I put it in front of her that she doesn't like tomatoes, and the diced tomato was still in chunks. I'll have to try it again on someone else!
2 - Ben loved this version. I made several changes, including cooking times and adding a few things. Although he loved it, he felt something could be added. What I think is in italics.
3 - It has been a loooong time since I've made this. I can tell because there' 2 Tbsps of coconut that's meant to be cooked with the chickpeas. No coconut grows locally to my knowledge! I'm just going to remove it and try it again, but I  may need to think about what the coconut was providing to the dish and think of an alternative.
- Even after removing the coconut, it was good. I did increase the garlic and used grated ginger instead of ginger paste. It could do with more salt.

Part 1
1 onion (6oz/170gr) sliced
3 garlic clove, pressed
grapeseed oil
1 1⁄2 cups (1⁄2 can/398gr) diced tomato
1 Tbsp ginger, grated
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 1⁄2 cups (10.5 oz/300gr) dry chickpeas 
1⁄2 cup chickpea cooking water
2 Tbsps. shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 bunch 4 to 8 oz of arugula (or spinach with lemon)
1⁄2 tsp salt (NEEDS MORE SALT. TASTE)
  1. Slice the onion while you heat a splash of oil in a pan. Throw the onion in and fry until slightly golden. Add the tomatoes, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
  2. Add the ginger, the garlic and the turmeric, cooking for a further 10 minutes. Add the chick peas and a 1⁄2 cup of their cooking water
  3. Toast the shredded coconut in a pan.
  4. Lower the heat and leave it to simmer for 5 minutes. When the time’s up, toss the arugula on top (or spinach and lemon) and the salt, and give it a final stir, allowing time for the greens to wilt.
  5. Serve over rice and sprinkle with the coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment