There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, February 16, 2015

French Lentil and Coconut Dal - Published

1 - Substituted chipotle for the jalapeno to get some smoky heat going. Turned out well! The original recipe is for soup - we found it too thick but it would make a great dal over rice.    
2 - Removed the 1 Tbsp soy sauce
                                                                  
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 chipotle canned in adobo, seeded and minced
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 cup du Puys lentils
1⁄4 tsp. cumin
1 bay leaf
1 can coconut milk
3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock or water
Salt and black pepper, to taste
Chopped cilantro for garnish
  1. Heat olive oil in a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, and carrots and sauté till the onions are soft and translucent, about 3 minutes.
  2. Add the lentils, cumin, bay leaf, coconut milk, and stock (or water). Turn heat to low and simmer until the liquid has reduced and the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
  3. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If you like, use a hand blender to gently purée the soup for a thicker consistency. 
  4. Garnish with cilantro. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment