There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Test 2 - Mixed Greens, Spiced Pecans & Goat Cheese with Dark Chocolate Balsamic Viniagrette

This was part of my Valentine's dinner, and the vinaigrette was a hit. I wonder if it will be as good without the pecans and cheese?
1 - Yes, it is! The dressing is excellent as a stand-alone on a salad.


Part 1 - Dark Chocolate Balsamic Vinaigrette
1/2 c balsamic vinegar
2 oz 70% dark chocolate
3/4 c olive oil
Pinch of salt
1/8 t freshly ground black pepper
Part 2 - Salad
10 oz herb salad or spring mix
1/2 c chopped spiced or plain pecans*
1/2 c crumbled chèvre cheese

  1. Prepare the dressing by combining the chocolate and balsamic vinaigrette in a small saucepan.  Cook over very low heat for about 3 minutes, or until the chocolate has completely melted and the vinegar has reduced.  Remove from heat and transfer to a medium bowl.  Add the oil and whisk until completely combined.  Season with salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
  2. Assemble the salads by arranging equal portions of greens on medium salad plates.  Sprinkle with chopped pecans, then add the crumbled goat cheese.  Lightly drizzle each salad with dressing (about 1-1 1/2 teaspoons per plate; try not to overdress!), top with more freshly ground pepper if desired, and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment