There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Jambon Persillé (ham in aspic) - Testing

Country Cooking of France by Ann Willan, pg 177

1 - This generally worked, but the format seems to be chunks of ham, which I did, and it was impossible to cut it. Should we be able to cut it in slices or is it eaten all falling apart? Anyway, it was unsightly and difficult to eat like this. So I melted it all down again and ground the ham and reassembled it and it was attractive and easy to eat. I will want to play with the flavoring at some point, but just getting the technique right is more important at this point.
 
4 pounds pork trotters about 4-5lbs pig feet
2 celery stalks
1 large onion
2 bay leaves
2 or 3 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tsps peppercorns
1 bottle (750 mL) white wine (pref. Chardonnay)
As much broth as necessary
1 large carrot
2 garlic cloves
1 lrg bunch parsley (2 oz or 60g), leaves separated from stems
2 cups (or 2 lbs?) boiled ham, ground
  1. In a slow cooker, place the pigs' feet, celery, onion, bay leaves, thyme and peppercorns. Add the wine and as much broth as needed to cover. 
  2. Turn the slow cooker on high and bring to a boiling point. When it reaches a gentle simmer, add the carrot, the stripped parsley stems and 2 whole garlic cloves and reduce to the lowest possible setting and cook for 8 hours (I left this overnight and processed it in the morning).
  3. Taste the aspic and adjust the seasoning.
  4. Divide the ham between the containers you've chosen, pulling it apart, removing any trace of fat or sinew - using your fingers allows to preserve more meat than if you cut this stuff away with a knife.
  5. Double strain the broth into a large bowl making sure you’re left with very clear, clean golden liquid. Discard pork trotters and veggies as you would when making bone broth (chickens, compost, or if you have no other alternative the trash). 
  6. I use small loaf-shaped tins and pour in enough of the aspic to cover the bottom, about 1/4 cup and allow it to set. I've read that it's best to let it set at room temperature, which can take a long time, but you can also just put it in the refrigerator and it take about a half hour. 
  7. Meanwhile, place the parsley leaves in a bowl and pour over boiling water to set the colour and leave them to cool.
  8. Into the rest of the liquid throw in the ground ham, the carrot and the cooled parsley leaves.
  9. Set aspic in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
  10. It’s best served with rye bread and Dijon mustard. And cheese isn't bad with it, either.

                No comments:

                Post a Comment