There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, November 2, 2020

Pickled Onions - Untested


8 cups peeled pearl onions
5 1/2 cups pickling vinegar
1 cup water
2 tsp salt (optional)
2 cups sugar
8 tsp pickling spice
  1. Prepare jars for canning by washing them and then setting in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes to sterilize.
  2. Place canning seals in a shallow bowl; cover with hot water. Replace water as needed, if water cools too much.
  3. Put a large pot water on to boil.
  4. Prepare onions by removing loose wrappers. Then set in a colander and place into simmering water for 5 minutes.
  5. Plunge onions into cold water and then peel. Measure out 8 cups onion.
  6. Combine vinegar, water, salt and sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer.
  7. Add spices to empty jars.
  8. Add pickles to the jars, put on the seal and canning ring (fingertip tight)
  9. Place jars in the water bath canner, bring to a boil and let boil for 15 minutes.
  10. Remove canning jars and place on the counter where they can stay for 24 hours without being moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment