There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, November 23, 2020

Steak braised in red wine - Testing

1 - I thought I was thawing t-bone steak, but only once I put it in the pan to sear did I realize is was sirloin steak - what tipped be off was the there was no bone! Well, apparently it's a good braising meat, so let's give it a go. I did halve the recipe, and halved, it reaches the right level of braising liquid in the pot. Woops, and I forgot the garlic.
 
1 popcorn kernel
1 Tbsp fat (butter, lard, oil)
1.5-2-3 lbs t-bone, sirloin or cowboy steaks
1 1/2 cup red wine
1 1/2 cup beef broth
1 Tbsp (try 1/4  cup?) 1 cup Worcestershire Sauce
2 1 cloves garlic, minced
2 1 Tbsps oregano
2 1 Tbsps basil 
A pinch each of: paprika, crumbled rosemary, thyme, pepper
A generous pinch of salt
1 onion, quartered
3 medium  1 large carrots in chunks
2 1 stick celery in chunks
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  2. Heat the oil over medium-high flame in an oven-ready pan (with a lid to use later), and plop the popcorn kernel in the middle. When the popcorn pops, remove the kernel and you're ready to sear.
  3. Sear the steak until very dark brown, on both sides, about 4 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, mix together the braising liquid: wine, broth, W. sauce, garlic, oregano, basil, paprika, rosemary, thyme, pepper.
  5. Once the steak is properly seared, remove from the heat and add the vegetables, followed by the braising liquid - NOTE the liquid should come up to a little over half-way up the thickness of the meat. 
  6. Cover and bake in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.
  7. After this time, remove it from the oven and let it rest for about 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment