There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, November 16, 2020

Sweetened Condensed Milk - Test 1

 
1 - I made condensed milk to make my dad's pumpkin pie before, and it worked wonderfully, but I never wrote down the recipe. I want to make the pie, again, and figured I might as well formalize my discovery and record it.
2 - I'm lining up to make the pumpkin pie again. From my memory, it worked a treat. This time I tried making it in the slow cooker. It took waaaaay longer than 2 hours, and I left it on High, but it worked, and only towards the end did it develop a skin. To be fair, I doubled the recipe, and yet, none of the markers quite lined up. I'll double the written recipe and make adjustments for the slow cooker instructions.

4 2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 3/4 cups sugar (granulated or cane, honey, or maple syrup)
  1. Dump the ingredients in a slow cooker/crock pot and turn on High until the milk starts to steam, stirring occasionally until the sweetener dissolves.
  2. Remove the lid and turn down to Low, and cook for about 2 6 hours, stirring every 15 minutes to avoid developing the 'skin' on the surface of the milk. occasionally, especially in the last hour.
  3. There should be 1 cup There should be half the volume of milk left when all is done, so about 2 cups.
OR 
  1. If using the stove-top, stir the milk and sugar constantly and bring to a slow boil while on Medium-Low heat.
  2. Whisk occasionally until the condensed milk is 2 cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment