There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, September 28, 2023

Naan Bread - Test 1

1 - This worked out a real treat. And I didn't follow the recipe! NOTE I need to figure out how much more flour I added because it was super sticky and I had to add so much flour! However, the naan were a good size and thickness. So the amount of wet is right, but the amount of flour is not. I also ignored the preliminary yeast activation. My understanding from making the Commons Bread and from stuff I read a long time ago this extra sugar and water thing at the start isn't necessary. That the yeast gets its sugar from the flour and its heat from your hands as you knead it. 
2 - Again I got nice naan loaves out of it, but Ben seemed to be just ok with them. Maybe a bit more salt to give them more flavor? I also half cooked half of the dough to see if they can be finished later, when we're ready to eat them.

2 teaspoon sugar
1 cup hot water
0.5 oz. active dry yeast ((2 1/4 teaspoons) )
4.5 cups all-purpose flour (how much more is actually needed?)
1 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp salt (try adding 1/4 tsp) (maybe sprinkle the extra salt on top after brushing with butter?
2 Tbsp oil
some oil (for greasing the skillet)
6 Tbsps. melted butter
  1. In a small bowl, add the sugar, warm water, and yeast together. Stir to combine well. The yeast should be activated when it becomes foamy, about 10 minutes. Transfer the flour to a flat surface and make a well in the middle.
  2. Add the flour, yeast mixture, hot water, yogurt, salt and oil. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rise in a warm place (for example: beside the stove top or warm oven) for about 1 hour. 
  3. Knead the dough until the surface becomes smooth and shiny, about 10 minutes
  4. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions. Roll the dough to a 8” circle using a rolling spin.
  5. Heat up a skillet (cast-iron preferred) over high heat and lightly grease the surface with some oil to avoid the dough from sticking to the skillet. Place the dough on the skillet. When it puffs up and bubbles and burnt spots appear, flip it over and cook the other side. Repeat the same until all dough are done.
  6. Brush the naan with the melted butter, serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment