There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, September 28, 2023

Curried Chickpeas - PUBLISHED


1 - Pretty good first try. I will increase the amount of chickpeas. With a full compliment of Indian dishes it's just enough for 4 people, but only just.
2 - Really very good. It would make a really good sauce for butter chicken. Hmmm... It needs a very long time to cook down enough since I don't use thickeners, but I think that makes the flavor so much better.
3 - The sauce definitely needs to boil down. First, it would be too liquid if not boiled down, and secondly there is way too much before boiling it down.
4 - It is a good recipe and I doubled it. Likely the original quantities would be enough with a whole panoply of Indian dishes, but for a simple meal for 4 it isn't enough.

Serves 4 as a main course

1lb/453.6ml canned tomato puree or unseasoned tomato sauce
3 cups (1lb12oz/780g) milk
4 cups (1lb10oz/780g) cooked chickpeas (or 400 to 500g paneer) (OR BOTH?)
4 tsps. garam masala
1 tsp paprika or cayenne or Indian red chili powder or both
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1½ tsp garlic powder or 4 tsps. minced ginger and garlic or ginger-garlic paste
4 bay leaves, optional
1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves, Kasoori Methi
4 Tbsps. yogurt 
+ 4 tsp yogurt for garnish drizzle
cilantro, sliced green chilies and lime for garnish
  1. In a large skillet over medium heat, add all the ingredients and mix really well. Bring to a boil. Taste and adjust salt and flavor. You can add more garam masala if you like or some ground cumin and ground coriander for additional flavor.
  2. There will be a lot of liquid. Cook down at least 20 minutes, maybe longer. 
  3. If the sauce is not thickening enough you can add 2 teaspoons of flour mixed with 2 tablespoons of water or 1 teaspoon of cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon of water and mix it in while it’s still boiling. This will help the sauce thicken faster.
  4. The sauce will thicken more as it cools so you don’t want it too thick while it’s hot.
  5. Serve the butter chickpeas garnished with cilantro, lemon juice, and sliced green chillies or with rice or flatbread, or naan. You can also add a garnish of cream.
  6. Additions: Saute ½ onion chopped and 2 cloves chopped garlic for 4 to 5 mins then add sauce ingredients. Add in more heat as needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment