There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Foie de porc à la moutarde - Testing


1 - I may have overcooked the liver. I'm annoyed with our butcher because the liver was all cut up. This means that I wasn't able to have two thick slices but many thinner slices. It wasn't tough at all. And it may be that I'm pickier than I was as a child, when I really liked liver and onions the way my mom made it. The sauce was really good and it smelled amazing, but the texture wasn't great. I think, for liver, it was a successful first try, but for my enjoyment, I may not explore this recipe again. I'll leave it because if I have to make liver like this for some reason, I'll have this to play with.

2 servings

2 thick slices ? pork liver
2 Tbsps. Dijon mustard
1/4 cup flour
1 Tbsp bacon fat or 1 Tbsp bacon, finely diced
Salt and pepper
1 grosse échalotte finement émincé
1 gousse d'ail finement émincé
2 à 3 belles branches de persil ciselé
1/2 cup water
1 to 2 Tbsps beef or veal broth
1 petite feuille de laurier
1clou de girofle
si nécessaire, il faut goûter, un peu de pâte de tomate, environ 1 c à s
  1. Brush a good layer of mustard on each side of the pieces of liver. Sprinkle each side with salt and pepper. Dredge in the flour and shake off any excess. 
  2. Heat the bacon fat in a large saucepan with a lid. Put in the liver pieces and brown each side. Once browned, set aside in a plate.
  3. Add oil to the pan if it's too dry and slowly fry the onion, parsley and garlic just until soft, well before it starts to brown. 
  4. Add the water and the broth and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Put the liver slices back in the pan. 
  5. Nestle in the bay leaf and the clove and cook 30-40 minutes. Make sure it's at a very low heat to avoid burning the sauce.
  6. Check the sauce of seasoning and serve. 
  7. accompagnement proposé : pommes de terre rôties à l'ancienne , légumes verts aux choix ! bon appétit.

No comments:

Post a Comment