There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Nettle and Chives Omelette - Testing

https://yummysupper.blogspot.com/2015/05/nettle-omelet-with-spring-onion.html

1 - I did a three egg omelette and the flavors where good.
2 - It was good but too much nettle. It's amazing how much you get in just 90grams. I think half as much would be better.

6 cups (45 gr?) loosely packed, trimmed and washed fresh nettle leaves 
¼ cup chopped spring onion, scallion or chives
2 Tbsps. olive oil 
6 eggs
¼ tsp salt
Pinch black pepper
1 Tbsp butter
1 oz grated Parmesan 
optional for garnish: chopped onion greens and/or onion blossoms
  1. Heat the olive oil in an oven-proof sauté pan over medium heat. Add the nettle leaves using tongs to toss and coat them in the warming oil. 
  2. Add a little salt. 
  3. Add a few splashes of water, cover the pan, reduce heat to low and continue to cook nettles for a few minutes until the leaves are wilted and tender.
  4. Once cooked coarsely chop the nettles. 
  5. Melt the butter in the pan.
  6. Whisk eggs with salt and pepper until frothy.
  7. Pour eggs into the hot pan and start cooking at medium heat. Lift the egg and tilt the pan to let any uncooked egg get underneath.
  8. With the oven rack at the middle position, start the grill (or use a salamander if you're so lucky to have one).
  9. Sprinkle first the nettle, then the chopped green onion/chives, followed by the parmesan. 
  10. With the egg still uncooked on the surface, (not just slithery but actually jiggly), slip the pan into the oven and broil.
  11. When the egg is set and the edges puff up a little, take it out of the oven and carefully fold the omelette (I do this by first cutting the segments and then folding - more manageable size).

No comments:

Post a Comment