There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, October 4, 2021

Blackberry bundt - Testing


1 - The yogurt/buttermilk alteration worked just fine. Once again though, the frozen blackberries caused for the cake to take nearly double the time to bake.
2 - This just takes so much longer than an hour to bake. And using a toothpick doesn't work to test its done-ness, the cake is too deep. I need a skewer.

2 3/4 cups (14.8oz/420g) plus 1 Tbsp.
2 tsps. baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup (210g) granulated sugar
4 large eggs (228g egg white?)
2 tsps. vanilla extract
2 Tbsps. lemon juice from one lemon
2 tsps. lemon zest from one lemon
8 oz. plain Greek yogurt
1/3 2/3 cup buttermilk
10 ounces fresh blackberries
  1. Move oven rack to the center position and preheat oven to 350°F. Grease your bundt pan and set aside.
  2. Set aside 1/4 cup (35g) flour. 
  3. In a large bowl whisk together remaining flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
  4. In the bowl of a stand mixer cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. 
  5. Add the eggs, scrape down the sides and beat again. 
  6. Add the vanilla, lemon juice, and zest, mixing until fully incorporated. 
  7. Mix in the flour mixture. 
  8. Fold in the blackberries and transfer the batter to the bundt pan.
  9. Bake for 105 minutes (will take much longer with frozen fruit) or until the cake is golden brown, springy to the touch, and a skewer (to poke in deep) comes out clean. 
  10. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment