There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, October 15, 2021

Seed Cake - Testing


1- I have made this using the Shakespeare and Beyond recipe, but it was perhaps a bit dense. While I appreciate using egg white as the leavening agent, the dough to incorporate into it is perhaps too stiff to prevent bursting too many of the little air bubbles in the whites. I shall try some of the other versions that don't require egg whites. 

1 cup flour
7 tsps caraway seeds
1⁄2 tsp salt
1⁄4 tsp mace
(optional - 1⁄4 tsp nutmeg or cinnamon)
1⁄2 cup (1 stick) butter room temperature (8T)
1 tsp rosewater or vanilla essence
1⁄2 cup sugar
1 whole egg 
2 egg whites
1 Tbsp sherry
  1. Preheat your oven to 350°F with the grill in the middle of the oven. 
  2. Grease a 9-inch springform pan and line with parchment (or prepare some greased muffin tins for individual servings). 
  3. Stir together flour, caraway seeds, salt, and mace. Set aside. 
  4. In a large bowl, cream butter, rosewater, and sugar, either by hand or with a mixer. 
  5. Stir in the whole egg and sherry, then add the flour and spice mixture. Set aside. 
  6. Using a mixer, whisk the egg whites until you get to the stiff peaks stage. 
  7. Very gently fold the whites into the cake batter - it's ok if the batter looks clumpy. 
  8. Pour the batter into your prepared pan and put the pan on a baking sheet to go in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes until golden and set in the middle (25-30 minutes if baking in muffin tins). A cake tester will come out clean when it is completely cooked.
  9. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the springform pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment