There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, October 11, 2021

Flour Tortillas - PUBLISHED


1 - This seems to be working just fine!
2 - Really very good. I do wonder about yeast or sourdough, but I don't mind the baking powder. Rolling them out a bit larger, 7 to 8" instead of 6 to 7" seems better.
3 - Yes, 7-8" is indeed better.
4 - Recipe is easily halved.
5 - Trying to cook half and refrigerate the other half.

3⅓ cups (460g?) white flour (internet says 1 cup flour = 130g)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
⅓ cup neutral vegetable oil or lard
Up to 1 cup warm water
  1. Combine the dry ingredients, then make a well in the center and add the oil and up to ¾ of the water. Stir well until all dry ingredients are incorporated and the dough begins to come together to form a shaggy ball. Add some more water if it seems like it isn't sticking together.
  2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 1 to 2 minutes or until the dough is nice and smooth. 
  3. Divide into 16 equal portions (about 50gr) and form each piece into a ball. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes (or as much as 2 hours).
  4. When ready to cook the dough, heat a large pan over medium heat. 
  5. On a floured surface roll each dough piece into a rough circle, about 7 to 8" inches in diameter (don’t stack uncooked tortillas on top of each other or they will stick together).
  6. When the pan is hot, place one dough circle into the pan and allow to cook 45 seconds to 1 minute or until the bottom surface has a few pale brown spots and the uncooked surface is bubbly. If browning too fast, reduce the heat a bit. If it’s taking longer than a minute to see a few pale golden brown spots on the underside of tortillas, increase the heat a bit. Flip to other side and cook for 15-20 seconds. The tortillas should be nice and soft but have a few small brown spots on the surface. 
  7. Remove from pan with tongs and stack in a covered container or zippered bag to keep the tortillas soft. 

No comments:

Post a Comment