There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, October 28, 2021

La courge au gratin - Testing

from French Country Cooking by Elizabeth David, pg161

1 - Reasonably successful on the first try. The only thing I'd like to do is standardize the amount of salt, since I didn't put in enough. In such a dish, how the heck do I know how much is enough salt before it's baked?
2 - I made it again, and decided to add a couple extra egg whites, if only because whisking a single egg white to stiff peaks seems like so much effort for so little! It made a more souffle like thing, but quite good nonetheless. The thing is the moisture from the pumpkin - next time I'll try squeezing out extra liquid since this time there was a small amount of liquid soaking the bottom. Not horrible, but I want to see if it would be better with less of it.

1lb pumpkin
1oz butter + more for the topping
1/2 cup milk
1 egg + 1 egg, separated + 2 egg whites
1/2 tsp salt  
Pepper, to taste
1/8 tsp nutmeg
  1. In slightly salted water boil the pumpkin. Press the flesh through a sieve to remove the skin and make smooth. Drain off any excess liquid (maybe even squeeze some out?)
  2. Preheat the oven to 400F.
  3. Melt the butter in a pan. Add the pumpkin flesh and mix together.
  4. Beat in the milk the first egg, the extra egg yolk and season with the salt, pepper and nutmeg. (The last time I made this it was really quite liquid. The egg whites incorporated well when I folded them in, regardless).
  5. In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, and gently fold into the pumpkin concoction.
  6. Pour into a gratin dish, dot the surface with butter, and pop in the oven until the top starts to brown, about 20 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment