There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, April 8, 2022

Parsnips and hazelnuts soup - Untested


Soup
Whole peeled hazelnuts 200 g
Butter 20 g
Parsnip, peeled and diced 370 g
Potatoes, peeled and diced 150 g
Dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed and cleaned 10 g
Leeks, white parts sliced thin 50 g
Vegetable broth to taste (measure how much it takes to just cover and write here, + more to adjust soupiness)
Sage to taste
Salt up to taste
Black pepper to taste
Croutons
Bread slices, diced for croutons 200 g
Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
Salt, to taste
Garnish
Fresh liquid cream 50 g
  1. Toast the hazelnuts in a pan for a few minutes so that they release all their scent, stirring constantly to prevent burning (they burn easily). 
  2. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the leeks and fry for a few minutes over low heat before adding the mushrooms. Cook for another minute, stirring often.
  3. Add the potatoes, the parsnips. Save a few hazelnuts for the final garnish and put the rest in the soup.
  4. Add the sage and add vegetable broth. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, adding more broth as needed. Stir occasionally.
  5. Meanwhile, make the croutons.
  6. Preheat the oven to 400F.
  7. Spread the cubed bread on a baking tray and season with oil and salt. Brown the croutons for about 8 minutes.
  8. Coarsely chop the hazelnuts you have set aside for the garnish. Once the soup is cooked, remove the sage leaves and puree.
  9. If necessary, you can add a little broth to achieve the desired consistency. At this point, adjust the salt and pepper and distribute it on serving plates.
  10. To finish, garnish each dish with a teaspoon of fresh cream, some chopped hazelnuts and a handful of croutons.

No comments:

Post a Comment