There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, April 8, 2022

Penne with herbed brown butter and carrot and parsnip puree - Untested


Carrot and parsnip puree
4 carrots, peeled and cut into pieces (280gr/10oz)
4 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks (460gr/16oz)
1/2 cup of heavy cream
salt to taste
Pasta
16 ounces of penne pasta
1/3 cup of butter
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbsps of fresh sage, cut into strips
8 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
1 lemon, zest and juice
2 Tbsps parsley, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
Grated Parmesan cheese to sprinkle

Puree
  1. Boil the carrots and parsnips in salted water. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until soft. 
  2. Process in a blender with the heavy cream. Blend for 1-2 minutes or until it reaches a smooth and malleable consistency. If necessary, add a little of the cooking water to dilute it. Season with salt to taste and transfer to the pot. 
  3. Leave on the stove off the heat and set aside.
Pasta
  1. Boil the pasta in salted water until al dente.
  2. In a large skillet, heat the butter, garlic, thyme, and red pepper flakes over low heat. Cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring constantly, making sure the butter doesn't burn. It should be bubbly, fluffy and dark brown. Remove the thyme sprigs.
  3. Before draining the pasta, reserve 1 ladle of the pasta cooking water. Drain the pasta and pour it directly from the colander into the pan with the brown butter. 
  4. Meanwhile, reheat the carrot and parsnip purée.
  5. To the pasta, add the lemon zest and juice, the reserved pasta cooking water and the chopped parsley. Stir in the pasta and cook for another 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
  6. Plop 2 Tbsps of the puree in each bowl and slather it around to create a layer up the sides of the bowl. Arrange the pasta in the middle of the bowl and serve sprinkled with the parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment