There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, April 10, 2022

Roast Pork Belly - the basics - Untested


These are basic instructions on how to roast pork belly. I think it'd be useful to do like with I've done with the pie crusts, to have a basic recipe that can be linked into other recipes for roast belly.
There is no discussion about size of roast, but it must make a difference. This will be part of my investigation.
Both Web sites provide different information, sometimes contrary, and I favored the Un dejeuner de soleil Web site.

3lbs Pork belly
Coarse salt and pepper, to taste
Oil
Herbes de Provence, or rosemary, or sage
  1. Preheat the oven to 425F. 350F.
  2. Prepare a grill in a pan to keep the belly out of its own juices while it's roasting in the oven.
  3. With a very sharp knife, score remove the skin (if there is any) into the upper portion of Score the fat with a grid pattern, about 5cm apart. Be careful not to cut into the meat, only into the fat.
  4. Season with salt and pepper and optional herbs, brush with oil. Yes, in this order, because brushing with the oil will help you get the seasoning into the score marks (methinks). Getting the seasoning into the score marks is crucial.
  5. Put the roast on the grill in the pan, skin side up, and slide into the hot oven.
  6. Put a piece of parchment paper on a rimmed cookie sheet and lay the fat-side down onto the paper. 
  7. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the skin on top 1 hour or until the fat browns and crisps, but do not let it dry out or blacken.
  8. Next, reduce increase the temperature to 350 400F and cook for 2 - 2:30 1 hours (size of roast may matter, here, so check the internal temperature before the 2hr mark for smaller pieces), or until the internal temperature reaches 160F, the meat is very tender and the fat top is crispy.
  9. Once cooked, remove from the oven, tent and let rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting and plating to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment