There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, April 24, 2022

Rösti - Test 1


1 - I've only used the first recipe which, with all the details, seems a bit precious, but it is interesting to note that the second recipe does not mix in any kind of oil in the potatoes before frying, and it only uses vegetable/olive oil. This is a TESTING point.
2 - Yeah, I'm gonna make this more. I've discovered the joys of mechanization which I've resisted for a long time. Grating the potatoes with a food processor is not only really quick, but also helps to have long strands of grated potato, which is a plus. The recipe is a lot simpler than either of the above Web sites propose, so I'm just gonna rewrite it for myself.

1kg/ 2 lbs. potatoes, peeled or skin on, grated 
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsps. mild veg oil
2 Tbsps. butter
  1. Squeeze out excess liquid from the potatoes by taking handfuls of the grated stuff and squeezing out as much liquid as possible. The more dry the raw potato is, the easier it is to have a crisp pancake.
  2. Toss thoroughly in a large bowl with salt, pepper and oil.
  3. Melt 1 Tbsp. of butter in a sauté pan, allow it to froth and wait for the frothing to quiet down like when you make browned butter. 
  4. Add the potato just as the milk solids in the butter starts to colour. Don't pack down but distribute evenly. You should have about 1" of raw potato. Take the time to tidy the edges a bit.
  5. Turn down the temperature to med-low and set the timer for 10 minutes. Start checking after 8 minutes to make sure you don't burn the potato.
  6. Meanwhile, lightly butter a plate. When the time has elapsed and the underside is nicely golden, use a spatula to make sure the bottom is free from the pan, turn the plate over and lay on top of the potato, and carefully and quickly flip the pan to deposit the hot rösti onto the plate.
  7. Melt the second Tbsp of butter in the pan and do the frothing thing again.
  8. Slide the rösti into the pan and cook for another 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden and crispy. 
  9. Remove from the pan, cut up and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment