There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Apple Brown Betty - Testing


1 - Perhaps I should not have substituted fresh breadcrumbs for Panko. The flavour is nice (I used Poudre Douce) but the topping did not have the crunchy/chewiness I had hoped for. I shall make another crust and re-bake this just as a filling. Not sure where to take this or if it's simply a FAIL. Oh, but the apple cider vinegar as replacement for lemon seemed to work just fine.

3 lbs tart apples (about 6 medium)
1+3 Tbsps brown sugar
1+1 tsp cinnamon, divided
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Pinch of salt
1-1/2 Tbsp lemon juice (try 3/4 tsp apple cider vinegar and 3/4 tsp water)
1 cup panko  fresh bread crumbs
5 tablespoons melted butter
  1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and generously butter a 9 x 9-inch baking dish.
  2. Peel and core the apples, slice them into thin wedges, then place them in a large mixing bowl.
  3. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt.
  4. Drizzle the lemon juice over the mixture and toss to thoroughly coat the apple slices with the spices and sugar.
  5. In a separate bowl, combine the panko bread crumbs with the remaining brown sugar and cinnamon.
  6. Slowly pour in the melted butter and combine well.
  7. Arrange half of the apples in an even layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish and top with half of the butter and crumb mixture.
  8. Repeat with the remaining apples and crumbs.
  9. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the crumbs are nicely browned, then remove from the oven and cover with foil.
  10. Continue baking for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the apples are tender when pierced with a knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment