There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, August 30, 2021

Blackberry pudding souffles - Untested


I altered the recipe from strawberry to blackberry. I don't see that it will make much of a difference, and any fruit would likely work.

8oz blackberries, fresh or frozen 
2 tsps lemon juice
3 Tbsps honey, divided
3 egg whites, divided
6 6-ounce ramekins (8-ounce ramekins are fine, too)
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Place a fine-mesh strainer over a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer.
  3. Blend the blackberries in a blender or a food processor. Pour the puree into the strainer to remove the seeds and use a rubber spatula to press the puree through the holes, getting as much puree out as you can. Feed the seeds and thick pulp to the chickens or compost it.
  4. To the blackberry puree, add the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of the honey, and 1 egg white. Whip for about 5 minutes or until the mixture is very fluffy and has reached soft peak phase. (If you remove a beater, the mixture should stand up on its own with the "peak" of the mixture flopping over a little.)
  5. In a separate, medium sized bowl, whip the remaining 2 egg whites with a hand mixer until it gets bubbly, then drizzle in the remaining tablespoon of honey. Continue to beat the egg whites until they reach soft peak as well. (See note)
  6. Gently fold the white egg white mixture into the pink mixture. Don't overstir or you'll lose volume.
  7. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet. (DO NOT GREASE THEM.) Divide the fluffy blackberry mixture among the ramekins. They'll be very full.
  8. Bake them on a rack in the center of the oven for 15-16 minutes. Or until the top of each souffle is stiff and has golden brown spots -- like a toasted marshmallow.
  9. Remove from the oven and serve as soon as they've cooled off enough to eat. Serve as is or top with a little whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment