There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, August 23, 2021

Gratin de patisson (Summer squash gratin) - Untested


1 - It was good, the cheese on top nice and browned. We noticed that on it's own, it is missing something, but with crust toasted bread, it was much better. So, something like that to go with it. I also noticed that it was very wet, which to me signifies more draining or even pressing out excess liquid from the scaloppini. Next time I will adapt the Cheese Souffle recipe to this.

1-2 basil leaves, sliced
1lb scaloppini squash (pattypan)
1 cup milk
3 eggs (separated)
70g + 30g grated Gruyère
1/4 tsp ginger
1 Tbsp sugar
50g butter
(optional) 1 Tbsp chives
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350F. (?)
  2. Peel the pattypan and cut into 1/4" cubes.
  3. Boil in plenty of salted water with the bay leaf for about 20 minutes. 
  4. Drain well as the pattypan can absorb a lot of water. Run the squash through a food mill or blender, let it sit and then drain off as much liquid as you can.
  5. Beat together the yolk and the milk - add the cheese, ginger and sugar.
  6. Beat the whites to stiff peaks with a pinch of salt. Stir a spoonful into the yolk mixture, then pour the yolk mixture onto the remaining whites and gently fold together. 
  7. Gently fold into the egg and cheese bowl, along with the butter cut into small cubes.
  8. Grease a gratin dish and pour in the batter. Sprinkle over this the 30g of cheese and a few more cubes of butter. Salt the surface as your last flourish, unless you're also using the optional chives.
  9. Brown in the oven for about 45 minutes. (?)

No comments:

Post a Comment