There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Ben's birthday cake #3 (Génoise à la crème pâtissière) - Testing

https://www.femmeactuelle.fr/cuisine/recettes/dessert/gateau-a-la-creme-patissiere-16134

1 - This is in fact the second time I make this cake. I feel like the génoise is too tough, perfect for something like a strawberry shortcake, so I wonder if the flour should be gently folded in instead of beaten in. Also, in this version I made a double batch and poured half over the top and garnished with lots of blackberries. It was too much. I think a single recipe of the pastry cream and retaining maybe a fourth to slather on top, and garnished with fresh fruit.
2 - Much better. After whipping the eggs, I used a whisk to gently fold in the flour. The problem is that the yeast didn't dissolve. Is it even needed? What does it do? I think doubling the amount of pastry cream is a good idea, but one recipe in the middle, and the other on top. And fresh soft fruit in the middle and on top is also better.
 
For the génoise cake:
130g flour
4gr (1 tsp?) active dry yeast 
4 eggs
Salt
130g sugar
Fresh soft fruit
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  2. In a large bowl mix together the flour and yeast.
  3. Separate the egg whites and yolks.
  4. With a pinch of salt, whisk the egg whites into stiff peaks. Continue to whisk, adding the sugar slowly to combine well. 
  5. Add the egg yolks, one at a time.
  6. By hand, very gently add the flour/yeast mixture only until a homogenous batter is achieved.
  7. Pour into a lined spring form pan and bake for 20 minutes.
  8. Once baked, cool completely before assembling.
  9. Meanwhile, make the pastry cream. For the pastry cream, follow this recipe and double it using the liquid cream option. 
  10. Cut the cake lengthwise, slather the base with 3/4 of the pastry cream to sandwich with the top half.
  11. Allow to cool completely before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment