There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, August 8, 2021

Warm Scaloppini Salad - Testing

1 - I made this for a potluck (pretty much my invention) with brie. It was good, but the brie melted and pooled into gloms. The trick is likely to toss it frequently as the pasta cools, or wait until everything is at room temperature until adding the cheese.
2 - Made it with chevre cheese and served it on a bed of lettuce. The chevre dissolved into the tomato and squash juices and turned it into a salad dressing. Very nice.

1 1/2 lb patty pan, cut in 1/2" wedges
Olive oil
8 oz dry chunky pasta like farfalle or rotini
1/4lb brie, skinned and cut into cubes OR Chèvre cheese (see note #2)
8oz - 1 lb cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 tsp minced thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
?lemon or lemon rind?
Lettuce leaves
  1. Turn on oven to 425F.
  2. Put patty pan wedges on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil and generously sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping occasionally, until squash is tender but still quite firm.
  3. Meanwhile, bring salted water to a boil and cook the pasta.
  4. When the squash and pasta are cooked, drain the pasta and combine it with the squash in a large bowl, including the squash juices. 
  5. Add the brie and mix thoroughly. You may have to do this several times as the mixture cools to a lukewarm temperature - the salad should be warm, not hot. Too hot and the cheese just congeals on the bottom of the bowl.
  6. Add the tomatoes and toss again. Adjust the seasoning to your liking
  7. Sprinkle the thyme (and lemon rind?) on top and serve on a bed of lettuce.

No comments:

Post a Comment