There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, August 30, 2021

Vegetable Ragout - Untested

 
5 teaspoons olive oil (divided)
3 cups butternut squash (diced peeled)
2 cups leek (1/2-inch-thick sliced)
1 1/2 cups sliced carrot (1-inch-thick)
1 1/2 cups parsnip (1/2-inch-thick sliced)
1 cup celery (1/2-inch-thick sliced)
10 garlic cloves (halved)
2 bay leaves
2 thyme sprigs
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup vegetable broth
19 ounces chickpeas (garbanzo beans, drained)
3/4 teaspoon salt (divided)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
6 portobello mushrooms
thyme sprigs (optional)
  1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Combine squash and next 5 ingredients (squash through garlic), and sauté for 8 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add bay leaves and 2 thyme sprigs, and stir in tomato paste. Stir in flour and wine, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the broth and chickpeas. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and chopped parsley. Discard bay leaves and thyme.
  2. Step 2
  3. Discard mushroom stems; slice caps. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced mushrooms, and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Serve ragout over mushrooms. Garnish with additional thyme sprigs, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment