There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Ben's birthday cake #2 - Untested


For the Pastry Cream
1 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup heavy cream
Optional - 1 Tbsp rum

For the sponge
175g of room temp soft butter
150g sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
80g almond flour
The grated zest from 1 lemon
220g of flour
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
Optional : 1 egg yolk

NOTE: This is a dessert that requires 8 hours of rest before serving.

For the Pastry Cream
  1. Put the milk in a saucepan. Heat to a simmer, remove from heat, cover, and add the vanilla. Set  aside to cool.
  2. Beat the yolks with the sugar until pale. Beat in the flour.
  3. Very slowly whisk the milk into the egg mixture. 
  4. Pour back into the saucepan, bring to a boil, and cook one minute. Remove from the heat (optional: stir in 1 tablespoon rum or liqueur of your choosing). 
  5. Strain into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside to cool. 
  6. When chilled, stream the cream in and mix with whisk until smooth.
For the Cake
  1. Beat together the butter an sugar until pale. Add the egg and 1 egg yolk, then the almond flour and the lemon zest.
  2. Add the flour, the baking powder and the salt. Knead until the dough forms into a cohesive ball.
  3. Wrap, flatten lightly, and chill the refrigerator for 2 hours.
  4. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  5. Divide the ball of dough (weigh and divide) into uneven pieces, one smaller than the other (when weighing, record what I decided on). Roll each piece out with a rolling pin. Place the larger one in a pie dish (or would a cake pan look better?), the edges coming up onto the rim.
  6. Spoon the pastry cream onto the dough.
  7. Roll out the smaller piece of dough.
  8. Dampen the edges of the dough in the pie dish, place the smaller round on top and pinch the edges to seal. Let rest a few minutes.
  9. Meanwhile, you can brush the top with another egg yolk, and then make patterns with a fork.
  10. Bake for 40 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment