There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, August 11, 2024

Ari Pathiri (rice flour flatbread) - Untested

https://oventales.com/ari-pathiri/

I should look for other versions of this recipe, but I think it's simple enough and similar enough to tortilla making that I don't really need to. It would be nice to have an alternative to flour or mesa based tortillas for the gluten intolerant.

1½ cups (+ more ) roasted fine rice flour 
1 cup hot water
1 pinch salt
  1. Heat a thick bottomed pan over medium heat and add the flour. Toast it for a few minutes stirring continuously until all the  flour is  heated through. Turn off before the flour begins to brown.
  2. Heat water with a pinch of salt till it comes to a rolling boil.  Add the rice flour and reduce the heat to low. Mix well using a wooden spoon and turn off the heat. The rice flour will clump, make sure that there are no large pockets of dry flour and all the water is absorbed. Cover with a lid and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes until warm enough to touch.
  3. Knead well using your hands. If needed add a few teaspoons of warm water or extra flour as necessary. Form into a soft and smooth dough. Place the dough in a closed container or  cover with kitchen towel.
  4. Heat a griddle or a thick bottomed flat pan (tawa) over medium heat .
  5. Pinch off a lime sized piece from the dough. Roll it into a smooth ball. Dust the  work surface with rice flour and place the ball of dough. Dust the top with more rice flour. Using a rolling pin roll the dough into a thin flat disc.
  6. Transfer to the hot skillet and cook over medium high heat for 20 to 30 seconds or till the pathiri turns slightly opaque (dry). Flip land let it cook for another 30 seconds before flipping again. If the pathiri does not puff up on its own press down gently   with a spatula or clean kitchen towel to help it bubble up.
  7. Transfer the cooked pathiri into a  container. Cover with a kitchen towel and close the lid.
  8. Wipe any excess rice flour from the skillet before making the next pathiri. Repeat the process till all the dough is used up.
  9. Serve with any spicy meat dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment