There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, August 24, 2024

Nettle Stuffed Hand Pies - Untested


1 - I want to try to make hand pies with this filling, using my flaky pie dough. I'm going to try to flip them during the baking to give them a more uniform appearance and texture.

1 recipe pie dough
150g nettle leaves
100g butter, 25g solid, 75g melted
200g feta, crumbled
50g parmesan, finely grated
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 egg, beaten
grated nutmeg
7 sheets filo pastry
1 tbsp sesame seeds

Prepare the pie dough as per instructions. While chilling in the refrigerator, make the filling.
Wash the nettles well but don’t drain them too thoroughly. Nettles are very dry and the little bit of extra moisture helps cook them.
Heat the solid butter in a large frying pan. When it’s sizzling and has turned a nutty brown, add the nettles and cook for about 6 mins until wilted. Leave to cool.
Squeeze as much liquid out of the cooled nettles as you can, then roughly chop and tip into a bowl. Mix in the feta, parmesan, lemon zest and juice, about two-thirds of the egg and some nutmeg, and season generously. The filling should be loose but not sloppy.
Heat oven to 400F. 
To assemble roll out the dough in 8" rounds (WHAT'S THE WEIGHT PER ROUND?). It's ok if they aren't perfectly round, but they need to be round-ish. 
Add 3/4 cups of the filling to the middle of the round. Fold over, BUT fold over short, leaving about 1" of the underside exposed around the rim.
Press down along the edge of the topside fold to start the seal.
Go around again, this time folding over the extra dough of the underside over the overlap along the edge of the topside.
Finally, go around again 'crimping' the folder over dough.
Put the finished hand pie on a lined cookie sheet and brush with the extra beaten egg (maybe add some milk?) and scatted the surface with the sesame seeds.
Bake for 25 to 30 mins or until golden brown. Leave to cool until just warm before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment