There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Bourbon scented creme caramel - Testing

https://lamouffettegourmande.blogspot.com/2021/04/creme-caramel-flan.html

1 - I made too much. For these ramekins 125g is the amount I put in ... there was enough for 187g for each, way too much. The oven at the restaurant is way hotter as well, so I need to probably halve the amount of time. I put them in for 30 minutes and the tops were browning galdarnit! I'd already reduced the amount of time by 10 minutes for chrissakes! I'm a little annoyed. OH dear, I used the crema catalana instructions, but what I realized is that I was supposed to cover them. I think I used tin foil for that.

For 12 servings

Caramel
1 1/2 cups (345g) sugar for caramel
Custard
6 cups (1425g) whole milk
3 Tbsps. bourbon
6 eggs
9 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 or 1/2? tsp nutmeg (optional)
  1. Fill a dish or roasting pan (larger than what you have the creme caramel in) and fill with just enough water that it will be about a half inch below the creme caramel dish. Put this in the oven and pre-heat the oven to 300°F.
  2. In a small stainless steel (for the light colour) saucepan, pour in the sugar. Shake the pan to evenly distribute the sugar - it shouldn't be too thick to allow for the sugar to heat evenly.
  3. Without any stirring (!) heat the sugar over low to medium heat until it starts to melt. This will begin at the edges - because this is where it starts to melt it also means this is where caramelization starts. 
  4. Be patient! DON'T turn up the heat - sugar can burn very quickly.
  5. Once the sugar starts to melt around the edges, use a rubber spatula to bring the melted sugar into the middle of the pan.
  6. Gently stir, just enough make sure all the sugar is dissolving.
  7. Once everything has dissolved, continue to slowly cook, watching constantly and closely ('cause it can burn quickly), until you get the colour you want - light caramel colour = sweeter; dark caramel colour is more complex with bitter notes. 
  8. Immediately pour the hot caramel into the ramekins (20-25g) and swirl to coat the bottom evenly. Set aside.
  9. Pour the milk into the same saucepan, so that it dissolves and absorbs the remaining caramel on the bottom and sides for extra flavour. (If using the whole bean, split the vanilla bean, scrape the seeds into the milk, and add the pod.)
  10. Heat the milk just to the boiling point, turn off the heat, add the vanilla, cover, and set aside to infuse for at least 10 minutes. 
  11. Meanwhile beat the eggs with the sugar. Add the nutmeg, if using. Once the milk has infused, whisk it into the egg mixture.
  12. Strain the custard over the hardened caramel and set the pan in a larger dish or roasting pan which has been heating in the oven. (655/6=109g) (125g per ramekin)
  13. Bake until set, 45 minutes to an hour (20 15-30 minutes for individual serving dishes).
  14. Remove the flan from the oven and from the water bath. Run a knife around the outside edge to loosen the it. Cool completely – even chill, if you like. To serve, flip the flan onto a plate, pour over any caramel remaining in the pan. Serve in wedges if in a cake tin or pie plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment