There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, August 17, 2024

Chocolate Pastry Cream (Crème pâtissière au chocolat) - Untested


GET WEIGHTS
1 cup (250g) milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 egg yolks
¼ cup (50g) sugar
1 Tbsp. (10g) flour
¼ tsp. salt
10 g cocoa powder (pref. Dutch process), sifted
100g dark chocolate, chopped fine
75g butter, cubed and cold
  1. Put the milk in a saucepan. Heat to a simmer, remove from heat, add vanilla, cover, and set aside to cool about 10 minutes. 
  2. Whisk the yolks with the sugar until pale, then whisk in the flour, salt and the sifted cocoa powder. 
  3. Gradually whisk the milk into the sweet egg mixture. 
  4. Pour this back into the saucepan, whisking constantly. Just when it starts to boil, turn off the heat, add the chopped chocolate and continue whisking until the chocolate completely melts, about one minute. Remove from the heat.
  5. Whisk in the butter until completely uniform. 
  6. Strain into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside to cool. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment