There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, August 11, 2024

Nougat - Untested

https://food52.com/recipes/80017-layered-nougat

3 large (106 g) egg whites
1 1/4 cups (248 g) granulated sugar
1/3 cup (104 g) corn syrup
1/4 cup (56 g) water
1 vanilla bean, scraped
  1. Grease a 9x9 with nonstick spray (you can use an 8x8 pan too, the nougat will just be thicker). Place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whip attachment.
  2. Stir the sugar, corn syrup, water, and vanilla bean and its seeds together to combine. Place the pot over medium heat. Stir a few times just to ensure its combined. Once it starts to simmer, stop stirring. (If any sugar has washed up on the sides of the pot, use a pastry brush dipped in water to wash it back into the pot.)
  3. Cook the mixture until it reads 235°F on a thermometer. When it does, start whipping the egg whites in the mixer on medium speed. Continue to cook the sugar syrup to 260°F, then add it to the egg whites in a slow, steady stream.
  4. Once all of the syrup is added, whip for 4 minutes.
  5. Pour into the prepared pan, and smooth into an even layer (I like to grease a small offset spatula with nonstick spray to make the spreading easier). Let cool/set for 3 hours, or up to overnight.
  6. Prepare the second flavor of nougat as directed above. Pour on top of the first layer and smooth into an even layer. Let sit for at least 3 hours, or up to overnight.
  7. Cut into 1x2 inch pieces and wrap in wax paper or cellophane. The pieces will keep for up to 3 months.
  8. FLAVOR VARIATIONS
  9. Chocolate Nougat: Melt 4 ounces (113 g) unsweetened chocolate, and let cool slightly. Stir in 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract (and omit the vanilla bean). Add at the end of step 4, along with ¼ cup (28 g) powdered sugar, whipping just until it’s incorporated – do not overmix.
  10. Peanut Butter Nougat: Omit the vanilla bean. Add 8 ounces (226 g) smooth peanut butter, 1/3 cup (37 g) powdered sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract at the end of step 4, whipping just until it’s incorporated – do not overmix.
  11. Strawberry Nougat: Pulse 1 ½ ounces (35 g) freeze dried strawberries and ¼ cup (28 g) powdered sugar in a food processor until they form a fine powder. Add this mixture at the end of step 4, whipping just until it’s incorporated – do not overmix. (I like to leave the vanilla bean in!)

No comments:

Post a Comment