There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, September 26, 2026

Lentil & Barley Bowls with Grilled Chicken - Untested


180 g Du Puy green lentils
150 g Pearled barley
900 g Water, for cooking
20 g Dried shiitake mushrooms
350 g Hot water, for soaking shiitake
180 g Carrots, julienned
150 g Daikon or young white turnip, julienned
150 g Cooked chickpeas
20 g Sesame oil
25 g Sesame seeds
10 g Fresh ginger, finely grated
10–12 g Dried dulse, crumbled
330 g Chicken breast
30 g Tamari
40 g Apple cider
15 g Maple syrup
20 g Apple cider vinegar
40 g Tahini
30–50 g Water, for tahini sauce
  1. Soak the shiitake.
  2. Put the dried shiitake in 350 g hot water and soak for 20–30 minutes. Lift them out, slice roughly, and reserve the soaking liquid. Strain it if necessary.
  3. Cook the lentils and barley.
  4. Rinse the lentils and barley. Put them in a pot with the 900 g water and the reserved shiitake soaking liquid. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer. Cook for about 30–35 minutes, until the lentils and barley are tender but not mushy. Drain any excess liquid.
  5. Season the grains and lentils.
  6. Stir together 40 g apple cider, 15 g maple syrup and 10 g apple cider vinegar. While the lentil-barley mixture is still warm, fold this through. Don't make it wet; we're looking for a lightly sweet, gently acidic seasoning.
  7. Cook the vegetables.
  8. Heat 20 g sesame oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, daikon/turnip, sliced shiitake, chickpeas, ginger and sesame seeds. Stir-fry for about 4–5 minutes, until everything is hot but the vegetables still have some bite.
  9. Make the tahini sauce.
  10. Whisk together 40 g tahini, 30 g tamari, 10 g apple cider vinegar and 30–50 g water, adding the water gradually until you have a sauce that drizzles easily. Add a little more tamari or vinegar to taste.
  11. Grill the chicken.
  12. Cut the chicken into chunks and thread onto 6 skewers. Grill or barbecue until cooked through and nicely browned. Let rest briefly before serving.
  13. Assemble.
  14. Divide the warm lentil-barley mixture between 6 bowls. Add the vegetables and chickpeas. Sprinkle each bowl with some of the crumbled dulse and serve with a chicken skewer. Drizzle with the tahini sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment