There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Rethivia (Greek Chickpea Soup) - Untested


2 Tbsps. + 1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp dried oregano
1 onion, sliced thinly
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
8 cups water
5-10 sprigs each dill and parsley
1 lemon, zest and juice
4 oz feta crumbled

In a large soup pot, heat a glug of olive oil over medium heat.
Fry the cumin and oregano until fragrant (very quick).
Add the onions and garlic with a big pinch of salt reducing the heat to medium low.
When the onions are soft, add the white wine and reduce until almost all evaporated.
Add the soaked chickpeas and water.
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until the chickpeas are very tender.
Taste for salt and then lightly mash the soup to make it chunky.
While the soup is cooking, blend the parsley, dill, lemon zest, pinch of salt, and the olive oil in a food processor to make an herby oil.
Just before serving add the lemon juice to the soup, taste and adjust seasoning one more time.
Divvy into bowls, top with the crumbled feta, and the herby oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment