There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Roasted Plum Tahini Brownies - Untested

Makes: 16 brownies (8" × 8" pan)

175 g Italian prune plums (about 5–6 medium plums), pitted and quartered
1 tsp maple syrup
½ tsp cinnamon
Pinch of salt

(600 g chocolate-tahini mixture)
196 g Raw tahini
120g honey + 120g maple syrup (to replace 162 g Brown rice syrup + 76 g Maple syrup)
43 g Unsweetened cocoa powder
89 g Unsweetened shredded coconut
13 g (about 1½ Tbsp) Flax seeds
12 g (about 1 Tbsp) Chia seeds
6.5 g (about 1½ tsp) Vanilla extract
1.6 g (about ¼ tsp) salt

3 eggs
60 g melted butter
70 g flour
1 tsp baking powder
50 g toasted walnuts or hazelnuts, roughly chopped (optional)
Flaky salt for finishing (optional)

To roast the plums, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
Line a small baking tray with parchment.
Toss the plums with the maple syrup, cinnamon, and pinch of salt.
Arrange them cut-side up in a single layer.
Roast for 12–15 minutes until the juices are bubbling, the edges have begun to caramelize, the plums are soft but still hold their shape. Do not over-roast. You want soft wedges, not plum jam.
Let them cool completely.
Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (175°C).
Butter and line an 8-inch square pan with parchment.
Warm the chocolate tahini mixture gently over very low heat for 2–3 minutes, stirring constantly, just until smooth and fragrant.
4. Whisk together the eggs and melted butter.
5. Stir the egg mixture into the tahini mixture until smooth.
6. Fold in the flour and baking powder until no dry flour remains.
7. Fold in the toasted nuts, if using.

---

## 3. Add the plums

1. Spread about **two-thirds** of the brownie batter into the prepared pan.
2. Arrange the roasted plum pieces evenly over the batter.
3. Spoon the remaining batter over the plums and gently spread it to cover them.
4. Sprinkle a tiny pinch of flaky salt over the surface if desired.

---

## 4. Bake

Bake for **30–35 minutes** until:

* the top looks set and slightly crackled,
* the edges are firm,
* a skewer inserted near the centre comes out with **moist crumbs**, not wet batter.

Do not overbake.

---

## 5. Cool

Allow the brownies to cool in the pan for **20–30 minutes** before lifting them out.

They become fudgier as they cool.

### Notes

* **Plums:** Italian prune plums are ideal because they hold their shape and have enough acidity to balance the tahini and maple syrup.
* **Roasting first:** Roasting concentrates the plum flavour and evaporates excess moisture so the brownies stay fudgy instead of soggy.
* **Storage:** Keeps 4–5 days in the refrigerator and freezes beautifully.

THE BASE
196 g Raw tahini
162 g Brown rice syrup
76 g Maple syrup
43 g Unsweetened cocoa powder
89 g Unsweetened shredded coconut
13 g (about 1½ Tbsp) Flax seeds
12 g (about 1 Tbsp) Chia seeds
6.5 g (about 1½ tsp) Vanilla extract
1.6 g (about ¼ tsp) Fine salt

Stir together the tahini, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt until smooth.
Mix together the cocoa powder, coconut, flax, and chia.
Fold the dry ingredients into the tahini mixture until a uniform scoopable dough forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment