There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, September 25, 2026

Lentil & Feta Gratin - Testing


1 - First time making this, the original recipe wanted me to use cooked lentils. Looking at the recipe as I was making it, that seemed silly to pass up all the wonderful flavour from the other ingredients, which the lentils love. I haven't made the braised version, but I look forward to it. Already, in baking this first version, I've put the feta on top but there was too much liquid that while baking it has sunk under the liquid. No need to comment further on this version, the next version will already be so different.
The overall reaction to the dish however was very positive and tells me that it's definitely worthwhile making again.

⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 onion, finely diced
¼ tsp salt
2 large cloves garlic, crushed
3 fresh bay leaves (or four dried bay leaves)
120g carrot, peeled and finely diced
100g celery, finely diced
2 ½ Tbsps. tomato paste
225 g French lentils 
2½ cups broth, such as vegetable, chicken or beef
¼ cup creme fraiche
2 tsps. white wine vinegar
100g feta
Freshly cracked black pepper
A generous handful of fresh dill leaves, finely chopped
  1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F (fan-forced).
  2. In a medium-sized, heavy-based pot that can go both in the oven and on the stove with a lid, heat the oil over low heat. Add the onion and ¼ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes to soften.
  3. Turn the heat to medium and add the garlic. 
  4. Add the bay leaves. Fresh bay leaves will give a brighter, greener, more eucalyptus and pine. For the fresh leaves, tear an edge of each bay leaf to release their oils and add them to the pot. Dry bay leaves lend a warmer, woodier, more tea-like and herbal flavour, and they don't need tearing.
  5. Cook until the garlic softens but does not brown (golden is ok).
  6. Add the carrot, celery and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the carrot and celery soften.
  7. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
  8. Stir in the dry lentils and toast them in the hot mixture of a minute or two.
  9. Add the broth and bring to a boil.
  10. Cover and transfer to the hot oven. Bake for 35–45 minutes.
  11. When the lentils are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, stir in the crème fraîche and white wine vinegar.
  12. Using the back of the wooden spoon, smooth the surface of the lentils until flat. Crumble over the feta, then top with freshly cracked black pepper and a drizzle of oil.
  13. Place the lid on the pot and put in the oven for 15 minutes, then remove the lid and cook for a further 10 minutes.
  14. Before serving, sprinkle over the dill. Leave the bay leaves in the pot when dishing up portions. Serve with a side of warm, crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment