There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Split Pea Shakshuksha - Test 1

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-spiced-lentils-baked-egg-14389

1 - Very nice first try. I turned it into a shakshuka and didn't bake the eggs. It's a pretty simple recipe, difficult to find ingredients.
2 - I did not indicate the size and correct type of pan to use and because I made it in a saucepan was forced to only cook 3 eggs at a time for 4 people! It think the timing is wrong for the peas to cook properly. I'm increasing it.
3 - Here's an idea, cook the beans on the stovetop, remove from heat when done, add the eggs at your leisure and throw in the oven with a lid on until the eggs are baked. The residual heat from underneath will bake them more quickly than from the top so the yolk should remain unaffected. Oven at 350°F. But for how long?
4 - Made it all on the stovetop and it worked fine, with runny yolks and all. The problem I have is that I find the peas aren't cooked enough in a reasonable amount of time. So I'm going to try pre-soaking.
5 - The flavor is very good. Now it's just about the cooking time. I am going to change the recipe to cook the peas for 30 minutes before adding the red lentils. And the eggs don't cook quickly enough at a low temperature, so I'm bringing it up to medium heat.
6 - This is now very good. I've changed the recipe from a stove-top to a combined with baking recipe for the last bit because it's easier to get the perfectly custardy egg whites and the soft yolks without burning the mash. I've made it like this and it was near perfection, therefore I will graduate this to Test 1.

1 cup yellow split peas
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 small onion, minced (6oz/74gr)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsps garam masala
1 cup red lentils
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 tsp salt
Ground pepper, to taste
¼ to 1 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves, from one small bunch
4 to 6 large eggs
  1. Soak the peas for at least 2 hours before boiling, preferably overnight. Drain completely before adding.
  2. In a large wide saucepan with a lid, heat the oil and add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring until the garlic and shallots are golden and fragrant. 
  3. Add the split peas and stir in the garam masala. Cook for a brief minute or until you smell the spices.
  4. Add the broth and bring to a boil. 
  5. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for about 30 to 40 minutes.
  6. Preheat oven to 350F.
  7. Add the red lentils and cook for another 20 to 30 minutes or until the yellow split peas are perfectly tender. It's ok if the split peas are still whole, and this adds texture, but they should not be crunchy.
  8. Stir in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
  9. Make shallow depressions in the peas and lentils and gently crack the eggs into them. (The reason for shallow depressions is to keep the egg away from the bottom of the pan for more even cooking)
  10. Cover and put in the oven to bake for 10 to 12 minutes. The egg whites should be soft and custard-like and the yolks still soft and runny.

No comments:

Post a Comment