There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Nettle and Mushroom Pie - Test 1

1 - This was a grand success. Ben picked just under 1lb of nettles, but they were all good, ie no woody bits had to be removed. I made it with cottage cheese since fromage blanc isn't common in these parts, but once we have cows (or goats I suppose) I'll want to use that. I was going to substitute walnuts for the pine nuts, but forgot, and it wasn't really missed. I'll want to try nonetheless, but I'll list it as an option.

https://voodooandsauce.com/2011/03/28/nettle-mushroom-pie-with-pine-nuts/

1 lb nettles, rinsed
1 lb cottage cheese or fromage blanc or try using Yogurt Cheese
1 tsp lemon zest
dash of nutmeg
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated + 1/4 cup for topping
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 egg
1/4 feta, crumbled
1 cup onion, fine chop
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp fat (veg oil or bacon fat)
1 cup fine diced sliced mushrooms
1/4 tsp dill
1/2 tsp thyme or 1 sprig, leafed and minced
Blind-baked pie crust, completely cooled
OPTIONAL: 1/4 cup pine nuts walnuts pieces
  1. Blanch the nettles in boiling water just until bright green – about 10 seconds. Drain and shock in cold water. Drain again, and squeeze out all the water. Remove any big stems, woody stems. Chop fine.
  2. In your food processor (or combine and press through a fine sieve), combine the cheese, lemon zest, nutmeg, Parmesan and some salt and pepper. Crack in an egg, and crumble the last half of your chunk of feta. Process this until it’s smooth and silky.
  3. Saute the onion, garlic and mushrooms in the fat. When the onions become translucent, add the dill and thyme. Turn off the heat, stir in the chopped nettles and stir in the cheese mixture. Pour this into a pie shell and top with a sprinkle of pine nuts and Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375° for about 45 minutes or until nicely browned and bubbling.
  4. Let it cool off for about 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment