There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Pork Stroganoff - Testing

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14729/pork-stroganoff/
https://www.sprinklesandsprouts.com/pork-stroganoff/

1- Not bad, but I felt it was too dry. Ben liked it very much. I'd also like more mushroom. I'll track the changes just in case.
2 - I did not add more liquid and it came out saucier. The consensus is that there is too much of a sour cream flavour and texture. What would balance that? Adding mushroom was a good idea, because it's the mushroom flavour that needs to come forward. There's also the historical question about what was originally used as 'sour cream'; I used store-bought sour cream which is not the same as real bacterially fermented sour cream. Next time, I'll use crème fraîche - the flavour I'm imagining is cleaner and sharper, not as, um, unctuous or oily as 'faked' sour cream. I think I'll start there, and see if we continue to feel that there is too much sour cream before reducing the amount.

14 oz roast pork leftovers chopped small
2 Tbsps mild vegetable oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
¼ ½ pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
½ cup water + more until desired sauce is achieved
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
2 tsps paprika
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sour cream crème fraîche (see notes '2' - is the quantity right or is there still too much?)
2 Tbsps chopped fresh parsley
12 oz pasta

  1. Slowly cook the onion in the oil until soft and starting to turn brown. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender.
  2. Add the two paprikas and stir in until fragrant.
  3. Add the pork, the water, mustard and salt and sour cream. Bring to a slow simmer and gently cook, covered, while the past a cooks.
  4. Once the sauce is simmering, put on the pasta water and bring to a boil. A little before the pasta is al dente, drain and add to the sauce and cook until the pasta is done.
  5. Add parsley before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment